The Sunshine Coast Salmonid Enhancement Society is accepting applications for a summer student.
Summer Student Hatchery Assistant Fish Technician
Location: Chapman Creek Hatchery
Wage: $10.45 Per Hour 40 hrs per week
Duration: 9 weeks
Closing date: June 15, 2016
- Is Between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment.
- Was registered as a full-time student during the preceding academic year.
- Intends to return to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year.
- Is a student in a secondary, post-secondary, vocational or technical program.
Duties of Summer Student Hatchery Assistant Fish Technician:
- Daily checking of tanks, which includes, intake, brushing nets, making sure all lids and nets are closed
- Sweep tanks, remove and record morts, attend to intake/Fish as required in adverse • Feed fish, weigh out feed as per feed chart.
- Assist with aspects of trout and salmon culture including spawning, egg picking sorting and releasing.
- Maintain daily record keeping as required by the Hatchery Manager.
- Assure gates, all tank lids and nets are closed and stand pipes are in and the end of each day
- Constant liaison with the Hatchery Manager
- Basic office administration skills
- Maintain public relations, Trout Sales to the public & conduct hatchery tours, answer questions
- Open gift shop and deal with sales if required
- Assist with Maintenance of grounds
- General housekeeping of the shop, lunchroom , washrooms, storage areas, education building and office building
- Safety awareness at all times
Sound physical fitness is necessary due the physical component of hatchery work
Please forward your application with references to email@example.com
Preference will be given to students enrolled in environmental / biological / fisheries management (or related studies)